Pioneering Mental Health Through Research
As a medical research institute and not-for-profit the Black Dog Institute aims to improve the lives of people affected by mental illness. Our vision is of a mentally healthier world.
Black Dog Institute are pioneers in the diagnosis, early intervention, prevention and treatment of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and at the forefront of suicide prevention.
They place research at the heart of everything they do because the majority of mental illnesses can be treated, and many can even be prevented.
Black Dog Institute’s research findings are:
- integrated in the care and treatment we provide in our clinics
- driving the development of self-help eMental Health programs (online and mobile apps)
- forming the basis of our education programs for health professionals, workplaces, schools and community groups
- informing national and state mental health policies, and consumer awareness.
The Black Dog Institute greatly values its generous supporters who advocate for us, help reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness, donate and raise much needed funds.
Where does your money go?
- Research into Suicide prevention and clinical treatment.
- Expand our education programs throughout metropolitan and regional Australia.
- Diagnose mood disorders accurately and early.
The Black Dog Institute is a not-for-profit organisation. Whilst research programs are funded predominately through peer-reviewed government grants, key initiatives such as education programs and community resources are strongly dependent on the generosity of individual, community and corporate supporters.
It is through these key initiatives that the Black Dog is able to ensure the research insights gained are made accessible to GPs, psychologists and counsellors, to workplaces, community organisations, schools, individuals and their carers.
Donations made to the Black Dog Institute are directed towards education and awareness activities and supporting innovative research into new clinical solutions for regional and metropolitan Australians.
Current research projects
The Black Dog Institute is a world leader in mental health research, conducting over 100 research studies annually.
Current research includes:
- Stepped care online clinic
- Sleep app
- Benefits of team sports
- Grief of adolescents
- Systems based approach to suicide prevention – Life Span
- Stepped care adult online clinic
Detection and Diagnosis
- Validating social media content for the detection of depression
- Monitoring non-linguistic features of speech and a person’s social connectivity as indicators of a person’s mental health risk.
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation
- Re-connecting after a suicide attempt
Recovery & Ongoing Management
- Alert dogs in bipolar disorder
Wellbeing and Resilience
- Anxiety project
- eMental Health programs (online and mobile apps)
By making a donation you can not only feel proud of your generosity but comforted in knowing that you have directly contributed to work that will help many people and possibly save lives.
For more information, go to www.blackdoginstitute.org.au or follow the Black Dog Institute on Facebook or Twitter.
To find out how you can provide your support to the Institute, contact Evan Jackson on email@example.com